Nurney - Church of the Sacred Heart
Nurney (Urnaídhe, a prayer house or Oratory.) Situated on an elevated site, Nurney church is in traditional barn style, with a side porch added later. The site for the church was given by Mr Laurenceson, the local landlord. He told Fr. Robinson to meet him at Nurney Graveyard and he would give him a site. He rode around his pony while the priest followed him with pegs marking out the site. For many years the floor of the church was gravelled and the faithful knelt upon handkerchiefs. At the back of the church is the ruins of a house where the local curate, Fr. Hyland, lived for a time. He died in 1838.